Car Accident Attorneys in Rockville, MD
Representing Auto Accident Victims for Over 65 Years
Americans spend more than one million days in the hospital each year as a result of traffic accident injuries. In 2012, the lifetime cost of medical care for auto accidents totaled $18 billion and the lifetime cost of work lost from these injuries totaled $33 billion in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Even when we take necessary precautions to drive defensively and obey traffic laws, we cannot prevent the negligence of others. Car accidents are an unfortunate part of life, and when they occur, they can cause lasting injuries that affect victims in profound ways. If you or someone you love has been injured in any type of motor vehicle accident, Ashcraft & Gerel has you covered. We are experienced and ready to fight for fair compensation on your behalf.
After a Car Accident
Maryland is no stranger to traffic accidents, with approximately 117,750 collisions, 49,912 injuries, and 513 fatalities reported in 2018, according to statistics presented by the Maryland Highway Safety Office. If you find yourself involved in a collision, there are specific steps you can take to protect your health and your right to compensation.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Rockville:
- Remain at the scene. Leaving without exchanging driver and insurance information is a crime.
- If possible, pull over to the side of the road.
- If someone is seriously injured or the accident is blocking traffic, call 911.
- Exchange information with the other driver or other parties involved in the collision.
- Take pictures of the scene with your phone or a camera, if you have one.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Call your insurance company to inform them of the incident.
- Do not admit fault to the insurance company, law enforcement, or the other driver. Apologizing or saying you were to blame could negatively impact your future claim for compensation.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not think you are seriously injured, whiplash and other car accident injuries may take hours or days to become apparent. Be sure to see a doctor.
- Take notes and keep all receipts or bills related to your medical treatment.
- Contact an attorney for legal help in seeking a fair settlement or award for your injuries.
Critical Facts About Rockville, MD Car Accidents
There are a few essential facts that you should know about the laws and procedures that may affect your Rockville, MD car accident case:
- There is a three-year statute of limitations on car accident cases. You must give notice within three years of the incident or lose your right to compensation.
- Maryland is a “fault” state, and this means that victims of car accidents have the right to hold drivers or others who caused their accidents accountable, typically through third-party insurance claims.
- Under the principle of “contributory negligence,” a victim cannot recover any compensation from the other driver if his or her own negligence contributed to the accident in any way. If even 1% of the blame is found to lie on your shoulders, you may be unable to seek compensation from the other driver’s insurance policy. Maryland is one of only a few states to implement this doctrine.
- Drivers in Rockville and across the state are required to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This means, if you are injured in a hit and run accident or if the other driver is uninsured or does not have enough coverage, your insurance policy would kick in.
You Are Not Alone
Although the time after a car accident can be challenging to face, you are not alone. When you involve our Rockville auto accident lawyers, you will have a powerful and caring team in your corner to help you recover the compensation that can help you begin to set things right.
Call (301) 231-1937 today to find out how Ashcraft & Gerel can help you.
Pharmaceutical Negligence $46 Million
Brain Injury Due to Defective Medical Device $16 Million
Injuries Caused by Mining Disaster $11 Million
Injuries to Foster Child From Abuse - Gov’t Agency $10 Million
Injuries Due to Negligent Operation of Train $6.1 Million
Child Injured at Birth - Umbilical Cord Compression $5.4 Million
Injured by Defective Helmet & Negligent Track Employees $3.5 Million
Child Injured at Birth – Deprived of Oxygen $2.9 Million
Injured Forklift Operator $2.5 Million
Burns from Flammable Bathrobe $2 Million
Our legal team understands what you are going through and is committed to defending your rights against powerful businesses and insurance carriers.
Committed to the Community
Our advocacy extends beyond the courtroom through our extensive involvement in the community and support for positive change within our industry.
Fearless Advocacy When You Need It
Our experienced legal team is not afraid to go to trial in order to maximize the recovery that our clients desperately need and rightfully deserve.
Respected within the Legal Field
Our esteemed attorneys are highly regarded within the legal community and even command respect from adjustors and defense counsel.
At the Forefront of Major Litigation
Our legal team has spearheaded litigation on behalf of injured clients in many high-profile cases, including major disasters, explosions and sexual abuse cases.
A Long Legacy of Successful Results
Since its founding in 1953, Ashcraft & Gerel has obtained more than a billion dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients.