Over the 40 years Allen Lowe has been with Ashcraft & Gerel, he has spearheaded the successful outcomes of some of the firm’s most complex and notable cases.
With a career focus on workers’ compensation claims for injured individuals, Mr. Lowe finds that helping families stave off the financial and emotional distress caused by these work-related disasters is the most gratifying part of being a lawyer. He has also been a steadfast advocate for union rights, helping to ensure union workers are protected by our legal system.
Mr. Lowe is held in high regard by his peers, both in and outside the firm, who value his unwavering determination and meticulous approach to his cases and to the letter of the law. Because of his recognized expertise in the area of workers’ compensation, Mr. Lowe has been asked to mediate on select cases by both plaintiffs’ and defendants’ counsel.
Often in demand, Mr. Lowe has served as a consultant to the International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions and participated in television and radio panels focusing on workers’ compensation law. He has also authored a well-referenced article dealing with the highly technical issues of general contractor liability and statutory employment with its correlative liability for workers’ compensation and immunity from third-party liability.
Mr. Lowe began his career as an attorney at Ashcraft & Gerel in 1977, a role that he has expanded in the decades since, including serving as the firm’s representative in various media outreach efforts.
As a senior partner, he finds invaluable the collegiality that has always defined the firm culture. He feels fortunate to work with a group of attorneys who share a dedication to giving everything it takes to ensure the best results for each and every one of our clients.
Outside the Courtroom
Mr. Lowe is involved in a number of legal and labor organizations, and frequently speaks at local unions where he offers his expertise in Washington, D.C. workers’ compensation. When the thrills of the courtroom aren’t enough, Mr. Lowe enjoys participating in adventure sports, including scuba diving and car racing.
- B.A., American University, 1973
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 1976
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- Washington, D.C.
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America®
- American University Law Review, 1975-1976
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- DC Wage and Hour Board Consultant 2018
- “Third Party Liability in Workers’ Compensation,” Construction Contractor, Volume 15, September 30, 1991
- Guest speaker, International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions
- Guest speaker, Baltimore Building Trades Commission
- Guest speaker, Washington Building Trades Commission