Commercial Litigation Attorneys
Serving Business Owners in Washington DC, Virginia & Maryland
Most business owners take great care to maintain compliance and operate lawfully to avoid the headache of a lawsuit. Unfortunately, unforeseen complications can quickly become nasty disputes. If you are facing the threat of a lawsuit involving your business, you need a capable legal team on your side.
For over 65 years, Ashcraft & Gerel has effectively fought large corporations and other powerful entities to protect our clients’ rights. We have extensive experience representing owners of small- and medium-sized businesses. Plus, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, which means you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.
How We Can Help Your Business Resolve Disputes
More than skilled legal practitioners, we are strategists who understand the external factors that can contribute to and cause a lawsuit. We pride ourselves on excelling both in and out of the courtroom.
In a recent case involving breach of contract, attorney L. Palmer Foret successfully challenged Chevron and its subsidiary, Unocal, when it failed to pay his client – a small two-person business – the full amount of a service fee that was owed per a contractual agreement.
Our commercial litigation team represents businesses in Maryland, Washington DC, and Virginia who find themselves in trade disputes, including:
- Breach of contract: When one party fails to live up to a contract, the others involved can suffer the consequences. At Ashcraft & Gerel, we fight to ensure that your business contracts are upheld and to hold those who breach a contract accountable for their actions. We routinely handle breach-of-contract cases involving businesses, customers, vendors, suppliers, franchisees, manufacturers, and various other parties.
- Fraud: If deceptive commercial practices have led to your loss, our attorneys can step in and protect your interests. We investigate and prosecute claims involving business-related fraud and misrepresentation.
- Unfair business practices: At Ashcraft & Gerel, we focus primarily on helping small- and medium-sized businesses put a stop to unfair trade practices from competitors and large corporations. We remain focused on results while keeping your bottom line in mind.
- Defamation: Business defamation cases are complex civil actions that arise from false claims and statements. At Ashcraft & Gerel, we are committed to protecting your business’s most valued asset: its reputation.
- RICO and RICO conspiracy: RICO (Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act) was introduced as an effort to curb organized crime in businesses. If your business has come under fire for suspected RICO offenses, we can fight to protect your rights and reputation.
Consult with Ashcraft & Gerel
Though many potential clients call us for representation in the midst of a legal dispute, we urge you to consider retaining our firm from the very beginning – long before a dispute arises. We can help minimize the risk of litigation and ensure that your business is positioned for success, saving you time and money in the long run.
Pharmaceutical Negligence $46 Million
Injuries to Foster Child From Abuse - Gov’t Agency $10 Million
Child Injured at Birth - Umbilical Cord Compression $5.4 Million
Injured by Defective Helmet & Negligent Track Employees $3.5 Million
Child Injured at Birth – Deprived of Oxygen $2.9 Million
Injured Forklift Operator $2.5 Million
Burns from Flammable Bathrobe $2 Million
Injury from Automobile Defect - Malfunction $1.9 Million
Construction Negligence $1.25 Million
Car Accident Negligence $851,000
Our legal team understands what you are going through and is committed to defending your rights against powerful businesses and insurance carriers.
Committed to the Community
Our advocacy extends beyond the courtroom through our extensive involvement in the community and support for positive change within our industry.
Fearless Advocacy When You Need It
Our experienced legal team is not afraid to go to trial in order to maximize the recovery that our clients desperately need and rightfully deserve.
Respected within the Legal Field
Our esteemed attorneys are highly regarded within the legal community and even command respect from adjustors and defense counsel.
At the Forefront of Major Litigation
Our legal team has spearheaded litigation on behalf of injured clients in many high-profile cases, including major disasters, explosions and sexual abuse cases.
A Long Legacy of Successful Results
Since its founding in 1953, Ashcraft & Gerel has obtained more than a billion dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients.