Serving Business Owners in Virginia & Maryland
Most business owners take great care to maintain compliance and operate lawfully to avoid the headache of a lawsuit. Unfortunately, unforeseen complications can quickly become nasty disputes. If you are facing the threat of a lawsuit involving your business, you need a capable legal team on your side.
For over 65 years, Ashcraft & Gerel has effectively fought large corporations and other powerful entities to protect our clients’ rights. We have extensive experience representing owners of small- and medium-sized businesses. Plus, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, which means you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.
How We Can Help Your Business Resolve Disputes
More than skilled legal practitioners, we are strategists who understand the external factors that can contribute to and cause a lawsuit. We pride ourselves on excelling both in and out of the courtroom.
In a recent case involving breach of contract, attorney L. Palmer Foret successfully challenged Chevron and its subsidiary, Unocal, when it failed to pay his client – a small two-person business – the full amount of a service fee that was owed per a contractual agreement.
Our commercial litigation team represents businesses who find themselves in trade disputes, including:
- Breach of contract: When one party fails to live up to a contract, the others involved can suffer the consequences. At Ashcraft & Gerel, we fight to ensure that your business contracts are upheld and to hold those who breach a contract accountable for their actions. We routinely handle breach-of-contract cases involving businesses, customers, vendors, suppliers, franchisees, manufacturers, and various other parties.
- Fraud: If deceptive commercial practices have led to your loss, our attorneys can step in and protect your interests. We investigate and prosecute claims involving business-related fraud and misrepresentation.
- Unfair business practices: At Ashcraft & Gerel, we focus primarily on helping small- and medium-sized businesses put a stop to unfair trade practices from competitors and large corporations. We remain focused on results while keeping your bottom line in mind.
- Defamation: Business defamation cases are complex civil actions that arise from false claims and statements. At Ashcraft & Gerel, we are committed to protecting your business’s most valued asset: its reputation.
- RICO and RICO conspiracy: RICO (Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act) was introduced as an effort to curb organized crime in businesses. If your business has come under fire for suspected RICO offenses, we can fight to protect your rights and reputation.
Consult with Ashcraft & Gerel
Though many potential clients call us for representation in the midst of a legal dispute, we urge you to consider retaining our firm from the very beginning – long before a dispute arises. We can help minimize the risk of litigation and ensure that your business is positioned for success, saving you time and money in the long run.