John Distel comes to Ashcraft and Gerel from a Family Law background. He previously worked as an associate with The Law Office of Dawn A. Nee, LLC in Carroll County. John has a unique background. He has worked as police officer for 18 year prior to joining Ashcraft and Gerel. John is enthusiastic to help clients get the appropriate remedies for his clients in all situations. John knows how to fight for his clients.
While in law school, John was a summer law clerk for the Hon. O. John Cejka in the Frederick County District Court, a law clerk at the Office of the Attorney General-Organized Crime Unit, and a Rule 19 Attorney with the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office.
Outside the Courtroom
John served in the United States Army and the Maryland National Guard from 1996-2004. He was deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 to 2004. John enjoys officiating scholastic sports and traveling during his free time. He referees high school basketball and football in Montgomery and Howard County.
- Ulster County Community College, A.S. Criminal Justice (1994)
- University of Maryland-University College, B.S. Criminal Justice (2011)
- University of Baltimore-School of Law, Juris Doctor-Cum Laude (2017)
- University of Baltimore School of Public Affairs, Masters of Public Administration (2017)
- District of Columbia
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Frederick County Bar Association
- Howard County Bar Association
- Maryland Association for Justice