Chair, Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Litigation Group
Join Joe Musso as he discusses “Thoughts on COVID and the Nursing Home Population” Tuesday, April 28th at 12pm EDT Live on Facebook – Click to Learn More
Joe Musso has devoted his entire 20 year career to holding nursing homes and assisted living facilities accountable for abuse and neglect of our nation’s elderly. Joe understands that when he is meeting his clients they have just been through a horrific ordeal. They trusted their loved one to a nursing home or assisted living facility based on promises that they would be cared for, clean and treated with dignity and respect. Instead, Joe’s clients come to him after their loved one was injured or even killed in a nursing home from neglect and abuse by their caregivers.
When lawyers around the country want to learn how to prosecute a nursing home case, they call Joe. He has co-counseled with attorneys throughout the nation on nursing home neglect and abuse cases. He has been asked to speak throughout the country to lawyers, families, ombudsman, state and county agencies and advocacy groups on how to prevent nursing home abuse and neglect and hold facilities accountable for it. He has been a member of the American Association of Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group for twenty years. He is the Chair of the Virginia Trial Lawyer’s Long Term Care Section. He is a member of the Maryland Association of Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group. Joe also serves as a Board of Governor’s Member for the District of Columbia Trial Lawyer’s Association. Joe is also a member of The National Consumer Voice, the largest consumer advocacy group in America dedicated to improving the lives of nursing home residents nationwide, as well as AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group COVID Committee.
In addition to holding nursing homes accountable for neglect and abuse and bringing closure and justice to residents and their families Joe routinely speaks and teaches his Empowered Caregiver techniques to families and caregivers to help them identify and address poor nursing home case before it happens. Joe has a 10.0 Avvo Superb Rating.
- New Jersey
- Washington, D.C
- American Association of Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Association of Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group
- Maryland Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group Member
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group Survey of Law Committee Member
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group COVID Committee
- MAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group Member
- DC TLA Board of Governors
- Chair of the VTLA Long Term Care Litigation Section
- The Federal Regulations – The Standard, New Jersey Association of Justice’s Boardwalk Seminar, April 18, 2013
- Empowered Caregivers, Fairfax Bar Association Keynote Speaker, November 13, 2012
- Nursing Home Abuse Litigation, Virginia Academy of Elder Lawyers UnProgram Speaker, February 25, 2012
- Nursing Home Negligence: You’re Not in Kansas Toto, D.C. Senior Resource Group Keynote Speaker, June 6, 2011. Watch it here.
- Deposing the Administrator, American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group Litigation Conference, Miami, FL, September 3, 2010
- Lessons from a 20 Year Career As a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney, National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care, 42nd Annual Conference, Alexandria, VA, October 23, 2018. Watch it here.
- The Nuts and Bolts of Nursing Home Abuse Litigation, Virginia Trial Lawyer’s Long Term Care Section Retreat, Lynchburg, VA February 8, 2019.
Joe lives in Ashburn, VA with his wife Kim and his two kids, Danny (21) and Maddie (17) along with their Rottweiler Charlotte. Joe is an avid weightlifter, poker player, and trained life coach. He is active in both the Men’s Ministry and Prison Ministry at Christian Fellowship Church in Ashburn. Joe is a huge fan of all Washington DC sporting teams but he is particularly devoted to the Washington Redskins and can be found at Fed Ex Field most Sundays every fall.